If you are unable to connect your Toniebox to your home Wi-Fi for some reasons (e.g. traveling, technical issues, only 5 GHz available etc.), you can simply connect your Toniebox to a mobile hotspot e.g. via your smartphone. You can turn it on and off if required. Please note that you will use mobile data if you connect the Toniebox via mobile hotspot and download new content for Tonies.
Important: You will need two devices to set up a Wi-Fi connection via a mobile hotspot:
- The first one to provide the hotspot
- The second one to set up the connection via the mytonies app or my.tonies.com/wifi
It is not possible to provide the hotspot and select the Wi-Fi of the Toniebox at the same time on one device only.
Please note that the data volume of your mobile phone plan will be used when you download data from the Toniecloud. Additional costs may vary depending on your mobile phone contract. But no worries: the data volume for downloads of software or new content is reasonable. The volume of our application software is only a few kilobytes, the content of new Tonies varies from roughly 15 MB for shorter stories to 80 MB for longer stories.
To set up a mobile hotspot on your iPhone:
- Go to "Settings" and tap on "Personal Hotspot" (iPhone) or "Cellular" (iPad).
- Tap the box next to "Allow others to access" to activate the mobile hotspot.
- On newer iPhones (iPhone 12 and newer), there may also be an option called "Maximise compatibility". If you see this option, make sure it is also enabled.
- The hotspot password will appear under the "Allow others to access" slider. You may also change this password if you like. The name of the hotspot network can also be displayed in the paragraph under the Wi-Fi password section. The name of your specific hotspot is shown inside the inverted commas (" "). This is the name of the network you want to connect at the end of the Toniebox setup process. Once all options are activated, you are ready to go!
|Step 1)Settings' > 'Personal Hotspot||Step 2) Activate the Personal Hotspot|
|3) "Maximise compatibility" on iPhone 12 and newer. If you see this option, make sure it is enabled.||4) Here you can view the hotspot password and hotspot network name. Once this information is confirmed, you can start the Toniebox setup process on your other device.|
Once you have activated the hotspot on the first device, simply open the mytonies app or the web wizard on my.tonies.com/wifi on the second device and start the setup process.
During the setup process, make sure that you select the mobile hotspot as the Wi-Fi for the Toniebox and provide the Toniebox with the appropriate password.
Once you have successfully completed the setup, you can download new content via the mobile hotspot.
In the future, remember to turn on the hotspot and bring the Toniebox close to the hotspot when setting up new Tonies or Creative-Tonies for the first time. If you change the password for your hotspot after setting it up, you will need to set it up again on the Toniebox.
For more information on setting up a mobile hotspot on your iPhone or iPad, visit Apple Support here.
To set up a mobile hotspot on your Android smartphone or tablet:
- Open the "Settings" and then tap on "Connections".
- Tap on "Mobile hotspot and tethering".
- Then tap on "Mobile hotspot".
- Activate the mobile hotspot with the slider.
- Make sure the band is set to 2.4 GHz and not 5 GHz. For Android phones with Android 12 or higher, you need to "Maximise compatibility" for this.
- The name of the hotspot and the password are displayed under the "On" toggle switch. You may change this password if you wish. The name of your specific hotspot shown here is the network name you will connect to at the end of the Toniebox setup process. Once all options are activated, you are ready to go!
|Step 1) Settings' > 'Connections||Step 2) Mobile hotspot and tethering|
|Step 3) "Activate Wi-Fi Hotspot||Step 4) If you have Android 12 or higher, activate "Maximise compatibility". Here you will also see the name of your hotspot and the password.|
You can find more information about setting up a mobile hotspot on your Android smartphone or tablet from Google support here.